From the news wrap:
- Read a report from France 24 on election rigging and intimidation in Mali’s runoff election. Then read another piece from Jeune Afrique on COVID and elections in Mali.
- For Malawi election coverage, read Golden Matonga (@GoldenMatonga) and his piece on the dispute between President Mutharika and the courts on a lockdown in the country.
- Look at a Twitter thread featuring a sit-in by doctors and nurses in Malawi, calling notice to their grievances and need for more PPE.
- Read a report from Afrobarometer (@afrobarometer) on survey data collected in 2019 on the challenges Malawians would face during a lockdown.
- In regards to trade and economies during COVID-19, take a look at an article by Danielle Resnick (@D_E_Resnick) on the effects of the urban food trade.
- Read more on informal markets and political order in “The Politics of Order in Informal Markets: Evidence from Lagos” by Shelby Grossman (@shelbygrossman).
- For more on agriculture and pandemics, read this article by Sudha Narayanan (@_SudhaNarayanan) on how India is dealing with the lockdown.
- To support a new weekly publication covering the continet, check out The Continent, a new magazine published by the Mail & Guardian. And check out Simon Allison (@simonallison) and his Twitter thread, which provides some background on the magazine.
- Tolu Ogunlesi (@toluogunlesi) shared a tweet about collective art during the pandemic. The group Unabashed Africa (@unabashedafrica) is calling on people to share art they produce during the pandemic.
- Learn more about the efforts the G20 are taking to postpone some of Africa’s debt (and where it falls short).
- Make sure to sign up for the African Politics Conference Group’s upcoming virtual panel today.
And here is some bonus content not mentioned in the news wrap: