In Episode 74, we covered xenophobia in South Africa, protests in Malawi, and research accomplishments of colleagues and prior guests of Ufahamu. For this week’s guest, Mandela Washington Fellows at Northwestern University sat down with Rachel as panel to discuss the development and growth of mobile money in Africa
Here are links to what we mentioned throughout the episode, as well as a bonus link:
- Take a look at election conflict in Malawi and police firing tear gas at citizens via Yahoo.
- Read a report by DW on the tensions surrounding xenophobia in South Africa that has caused tensions with Nigeria.
- Check two pieces by Carolyn Holmes, one in The Monkey Cage and another in Mischiefs of Faction, on xenophobia in South Africa.
- Consider reading Audie Klotz’s award-winning book Migration and National Identity in South Africa.
- Read up on a partnered report from Afrobarometer and the Mo Ibrahim Foundation, authored by Edem E. Selormey and Carolyn Logan, about climate change.
- For some more research news, take a look at Ruth Carlitz’s paper on the distribution of public goods in Tanzania
- Learn more about the links between term limits and democracy in a Comparative Politics Studies article by Kristin McKie.
- Definitely check out a BONUS LINK about empowering girls through football in Sudan on the BBC.